Church of the Holy Communion (Episcopal), St. Peter, Nicollet County, Minnesota. Records, 1854 - 1979
Scope and Contents
Reel One: reel contains historical narratives compiled by George C. Tanner the diocesan registrar and historian. His collection of narratives covers the years 1855 through 1859 and was compiled ca. 1900 - 1905. Also, the reel contains the History of the Church of the Holy Communion, St. Peter, Minnesota, 1854 to 1977 and parish registers dated from 1860 to 1975.
Reel Two: This reel holds five parish minute books dated 1912 through 1965, correspondence, and miscellaneous pages dated 1955 - 1965.
Reel Three: Reel three contains four parish minute books, 1960 - 1979, a parish cash book, 1955 - 1961, correspondence and miscellaneous papers, 1967 - 1969, and a parish newsletter entitled The Notes dated 1962 and 1963.
Reel Four: The minute book for the Ladies' Society, 1891 - 1897, the minute books for the Women's Auxiliary, 1898 - 1960, and the cash book for the Women's Auxiliary are contained on this reel.
Reel Five: This reel is a near duplicate of the first real except the two sections on the church's history are not contained on this reel.
- Church of the Holy Communion (Saint Peter, Minn.) (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The first Episcopal service was held in St. Peter in 1854. The service occurred in the home of Captain William B. Dodd, one of the founders of St. Peter, and his wife, Harriet Newell Jones Dodd. Bishop C. Jackson Kemper, first missionary bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States, conducted the service.
Between 1854 and 1856, the Episcopal services, in St. Peter, were held in private homes and in at the public school by Reverend Timothy Wilcoxson and Reverend Ebenezer Steele Peake. Both Wilcoxson and Peake were traveling missionary priests serving the Minnesota Valley. In 1856, St. Peter was assigned its first resident missionary priest, Reverend Ezra Jones. Jones oversaw the construction of the first church building between 1856 and 1857. A portion of the building's construction fee was contributed by the Church of Holy Communion, New York City. The connection between New York and St. Peter arouse from Harriet Dodd. Previously, she was a member of the New York Church prior to marrying and the church in St. Peter was named in honor of the New York church.
The Church of the Holy Communion, St. Peter, Nicollet County, Minnesota, was organized as a mission in 1857 and admitted to the Minnesota Convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church in 1858. The rector, wardens, vestrymen, and congregation organized as a parish in 1867. The parish was incorporated in 1870 under Reverend Edward Livermore who served St. Peter's residents between 1860 and 1883.
0.03 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The Church of the Holy Communion (Episcopal) contains the Records of this church in Nicollet County, Minnesota. The collection includes parish histories, parish registers, minute books, cashbook, and correspondence. Also present are minute books and a cash book for the church's Ladies Aid and Woman's Auxiliary organizations
- Church of the Holy Communion (Saint Peter, Minn.)
- Church records and registers
- Dodd, Harriet Newell Jones
- Dodd, William B., 1811-1862
- Episcopal Church. Diocese of Minnesota.
- Jones, Ezra
- Kemper, Jackson, 1789-1870
- Livermore, Edward, 1815-1886
- Nicollet County (Minn.)
- Peake, Ebenezer Steele, 1830-1905
- Registers of births, etc.
- Saint Peter (Minn.)
- Wilcoxson, Timothy, 1818-1884
- Women in church work
- Church of the Holy Communion (Episcopal), St. Peter, Nicollet County, Minnesota. Records, 1854 - 1979
- The Archive's staff processed this collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Southern Minnesota Historical Center Repository
Minnesota State University, Mankato
PO Box 8419
Mankato MN 56002-8419 US