Skip to main content

Library Services. Collection, 1911-Ongoing

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSU Archives Collection 167

Scope and Contents

Due to the wide scope of materials being covered, the Library Services collection has been divided into nine series. Items in each series have been arranged by chronology and topic. The series are as follows:

Faculty Files, 1960-Ongoing: This series relates to the library faculty including the department chairperson and library faculty committee work. Also included in the series are election results, faculty organization files, and other miscellaneous faculty materials. There are also the agendas, memorandums, and minutes of the faculty meetings within the series. Most significant in this series are correspondence, minutes, and promotion and tenure materials. Also present are job descriptions and collective bargaining materials.

Faculty and Staff Members (1983 –Ongoing): Included in this series are memorial services and endowments, copies of publication, memorial, some Christmas letters, and awards of library faculty and staff members during the time they served or after they left the library.

Administration Materials, 1969-Ongoing: This series contains various task force, committee, and council materials as well as information regarding equipment purchases.

Program Analysis and Planning Priorities Advisory Council, 1975: Minutes, correspondence, profiles, and reviews of various facets of Audiovisual and Library Services are in this series.

Newsletters, 1968-Ongoing: The newsletters are continuous throughout the time period and cover the activities of the library and its employees. Titles of the newsletters include “Fineprint,” “Greenleaves,” and “Library Services Newsletter.”

Library Construction, Expansion and Remodeling, 1958-Ongoing: Materials are related to the construction of Lincoln Library (a past location of the college library) and Memorial Library. The logistical requirements for the facility change are detailed in a draft plan included in this series. There is also a pictorial part of this collection, which documents before, during, and after the construction of the Memorial Library.

NASA Resource Room, 1984-2007: The National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s interest in creating satellite facilities for the purpose of sharing aerospace educational materials resulted in the creation of this resource room at Memorial Library. Agreements, correspondence, photographs, and newspaper clippings of this addition to the library are included in this collection.

“Around the World on the 44th Parallel” Memorial Library Artwork, 1987-1997: Due to the funds spent for the expansion of Memorial Library, the university received a one percent allocation of those expenditures to use on artwork for the library. All materials related to this endeavor, including contracts, correspondence, photographs, and slides, are present in this series.

General Files, 1911-Ongoing: Remaining materials have been placed within this encompassing series. Interesting items from library histories to library logos and stamps are included. Most notably, numerous and extensive program reviews can be found within this series that detail the inner-analysis process and the concluding results.

Dates

  • 1911-Ongoing

Creator

Biographical / Historical

The prominent higher education institution in Mankato has seen many changes since its inception in 1868. Originally the Mankato Normal School, the school evolved into the Mankato State Teachers College in 1921, Mankato State College in 1957, Mankato State University in 1975, and finally Minnesota State University in 1998. The first library was built for the Normal School in 1899. In 1922, a fire destroyed almost all of the volumes of the library and forced school officials to find a new home for the library. From 1923 to 1958, the library was housed in Old Main at the now defunct Valley Campus. Due to the growth in enrollment and limited space in the Old Main building, the library was moved into newly constructed Lincoln Library in 1958. These quarters quickly changed as the college sought to build a new campus on the hills overlooking the Valley Campus. The college library found its current home in Memorial Library on the newly constructed upper campus in 1967. Additions to Memorial Library were built in 1969 and 1992, as well as a complete remodeling of the library in 1992. The library serves the university community as well as Mankato and surrounding communities.

Information was obtained from the collection and from the Minnesota State University, Mankato website at http://lib.mnsu.edu

Extent

9.00 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

English

Overview

The Library Services collection contains a variety of information produced by the library at Minnesota State University, Mankato and its employees since 1911, though most of the collection is dated from the 1970s to the present. The collection is primarily composed of meeting minutes and agendas, newsletters, correspondence, and photographs, although numerous miscellaneous materials related to the library are also present.
Title
Library Services. Collection, 1911-Ongoing
Status
Completed
Author
Michael J. Gieseke
Date
2004-12
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Minnesota State University, Mankato University Archives Repository

Contact:
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Memorial Library
PO Box 8419
Mankato MN 56002-8419 US
507-389-1029