Skip to main content

KMSU Radio. Collection 1983-ongoing.

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSU Archives Collection 040

Scope and Contents

The KMSU Radio Collection consists of mainly issues of the program guides, the Monitor, and newsletters, Airwaves, distributed by the radio station beginning in the 1980s. These publications contain schedules and details of what is being broadcast. Until January 1989, the Monitor contained extensive writing and was very colorful. In February 1989 the format of the Monitor changed and it became larger but was all white with less writing and pictures. The Monitor was originally released every month but when it was relaunched in 1996 as Airwaves it became a quarterly newsletter. There are also a couple of ads, schedules, and other publications that are included. The collection has been divided into three series.

Program Guides: This series contains contain the monthly Monitor issues that included radio schedules, show descriptions, coming attractions, and often stories at the end or beginning about people or events on the radio. Issues of range from 1983-1995.

Newsletters: This series contains contain the quarterly Airwaves issues that included radio schedules, show descriptions, coming attractions, and often stories at the end or beginning about people or events on the radio. Issues range from 1996-1998.

Miscellaneous: This series contains ads, schedules, and other miscellaneous publications and promotional items.

Dates

  • 1983-ongoing

Conditions Governing Use

There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property and libel laws as they apply.

Biographical / Historical

Mankato State Teachers College began broadcasting radio programs from the local radio station, KYSM, in the 1930s. However, the origins of the KMSU radio station can be traced back to the 1950s when Mankato State College formed the Radio Workshop, later renamed as the Radio Guild. The arrival of John Hodowanic in 1958 as director of information services began his term as the Radio Guild’s operations manager. With Hodowanic at the helm, the college radio programming quickly grew: the college acquired a console that allowed students to broadcast programs through KYSM while on campus; the college planned for its own radio station; the FCC granted the call numbers KMSU and assigned the frequency of 90.5; the station received its license; and finally in 1963, the first KMSU broadcast occurred.

The station originally broadcasted classical, semi-classical, new popular music, and discussion and news shows. In the beginning, programming was broadcasted five days a week and quickly grew to seven days a week. KMSU is still broadcasting these types of programs and many more today.

Information obtained from collection and KMSU website, Monitor issues, the Reporter, and 50 Years of Making Great Radio.

KMSU: http://www.mnsu.edu/kmsufm/

Extent

1.33 Cubic Feet (1 records box 1 Oversized folder)

Language of Materials

English

Overview

The KMSU Radio Collection is primarily made up of program guides, the Monitor, and newsletters, Airwaves, which were distributed to subscribers. The Monitor and Airwaves issues contain radio schedules, show descriptions, coming attractions, and often stories at the end or beginning about people or events on the radio. The collection also includes ads and other documents.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

KMSU donated this collection May 20, 2013. Archives staff collected materials.
Title
KMSU Radio. Collection 1983-ongoing.
Status
Completed
Author
Josh Smith processed this collection
Date
2015-04
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Revision Statements

  • 2017-06: Mee Xiong made additions to the collection

Repository Details

Part of the Minnesota State University, Mankato University Archives Repository

Contact:
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Memorial Library
PO Box 8419
Mankato MN 56002-8419 US
507-389-1029